Thursday, May 19, 2011

FAILURE spelled with an "H"

Do you ever have those projects that are so cute in your head, but they just don't work out the way you are expecting them to?  I am feeling that way about this project.  I have been putting it on the back burner because I knew it would be a simple one hour "TADA...I'm done" type of project.  So wrong!  It all started with this picture that I bought about a month ago at a local thrift store.


If you can't tell, it way $12.50 and "old" according to the tag.  The store was having a half off sale....the same sale that they run EVERY single day...so I bought it for $6.25(+tax).  I had to have help getting it down and I overheard the one sales lady ask the other if it was one of their nice pictures and the other lady said no...haha!  I had plans for this little missy though.  I was going to turn it into a "sign" to go on Hailee's bedroom door.  (You can see how her room is progressing HERE or HERE.)  First things first, I removed the watercolor and gave the frame a good scrubbing.  I then spray painted the frame with Krylon's watermelon....it wasn't exactly what I wanted so then I painted it with Krylon's Raspberry...still egh.  So then I misted it again with the watermelon...it is slightly lighter.  So now it was time to cover the watercolor painting.  I went to Michael's and found this paper, I thought it would tie in the green that used to paint her nightstand (and will be bringing in throughout the room).

I used my spray adhesive to glue it down onto my picture trying to keep the design as straight as possible.  I then trimmed off the excess paper.


Next, I got this wood block "H" to go in the middle of my sign, also from Michael's.
I liked it because of it's raised dimensions rather than just being flat.  So I figured that to make it stand out against everything else that was going on that I would paint it black.....so here is the finished product:

Cute...but it still looked "old" to me.  I was starting to think that the green damask was not the right choice.  Back to the drawing board.  I wanted this thing to be funky and fun.....so what about the polka dots?  You know the same paper that is on top of the night stand ...and eventually the top of the dresser.  I traced out a piece and sprayed it down on top of the damask print.

Next problem.....now that H that I painted black is going to get lost on top of the black and white print...UGH!!  So I gave it a quick coat of white primer:

By now, this one-hour-turned-eternity project is really getting under my skin.  So the only color left to paint it is Pistachio (by Krylon) which is what I used when I painted the nightstand.  After T.H.R.E.E. coats on this thing it finally covered nicely. This is what I ended up with:


I was STILL  not convinced so then I started painting the bottom portion of the H black....still didn't like it....then I added a turquoise color to the top raised part.....still a NO..
As you can see I didn't even bother to finish painting.  I threw the H in the trash and put the frame on a shelf in the garage.  Sometimes it just happens that way.  We see it in our head, but in real life it just doesn't work.  Then, there are other projects that we go in blind and come out with something great.  Do you have any headache projects that have driven you crazy lately?  Do you have any suggestions for my sign failure?  Or should I just give up?

3 comments:

  1. This may be one of my favorite posts ever! Do you know how many times this has happened to me? Thanks for a smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that I'm not the only one who has to try and try again. The frame is cute, and I know you'll get an 'aha' moment when it will all come together. Hey, how about making it into a jewelry holder? I don't know how big the frame is, but it might work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cuteness potential...I just discovered this through a linkup at Thriftydecorchick.. Since I have an H name, I am drawn to H's. :)

    Try using the same pinks are the frame. with either the green or black background I think it would work.

    ReplyDelete