Monday, June 6, 2011

Treasure Chest Contents

Between having a computer virus and going on vacation my little blog baby has been neglected, and my DIY projects have too.  Though, I have bought several new items for my treasure chest (actually I just stuff things away until I can turn them into something great).  I usually get my treasures from thrift stores, but I have a few other secrets too.  Here is what I have picked up from my local thrift stores in the last couple weeks:


My absoloute most F.A.V.O.R.I.T.E. place to find treasures has to be ....what we call it in this house....the trash pick up.  My aunt lives in the Bay Area (CA) in a well-off neighborhood and three times a year the city does a "special clean up" day in which the residents put their unwanted "trash" out by the street for the city to take to the dump.  I am not even kidding one little bit when I tell you that these people put out A LOT OF GOOD JUNK. At first it is embarrassing, it is like one step up from dumpster diving, but this treasure lover has no shame people...no shame I tell ya!  In the past we have gotten a Craftsman table saw, all of my gas lawn tools, a vintage dress form in perfect condition, and sooooo soooo much more.  This time around I only kept a few things, some pots, garden trellis, a little table and this:
Yeah baby!!  It is actually a rototiller attachment that goes with my gas weed eater that I got last year from the "trash pick up".  I also got this cute little mirror that will eventually live on my gallery wall:

Then, while driving around on my hunt I came across this vanity in someone's front yard.  It had a sign taped to it that read > $25 obo, leave your money under the mat.  Thanks!<  It was totally worth the $25, but I was in free mode and so I passed it up.....then a few hours later I went back by just to see if it was still there...yep, still left it there.  Then after a few MORE hours it started to rain...so I went back by and decided to take the vanity home.  I left $15 under the mat and a note that said....>I am leaving $15 for the vanity, please call me if you do not think that is a fair price 707-#### Thanks, Sarah<  I never got a call so I assume they were happy....I am definitely happy. 

Last but not least, I got these candle sticks from my grandma.  They are actually hand made by an old neighbor of hers.  She told me that there were originally three candlesticks but she sold the smallest one years ago at a yard sale.  I am in LOVE with them.
All in all, I think I have done pretty darn good in the last couple weeks.  Sometimes I get so envious of people because it seems like they find all the good stuff and all that I can ever find is blah.  I had a lucky streak, what else can I say.  I already know what I am going to do with some of the things, others will fall into place eventually.  What have you found lately?  Have you ever bought something on the honors system like I did with the vanity?  Or are you a proud trash picker?....Oh yeah baby, be proud!!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome finds!
    When I was a kid my mom would make *me* get out for treasures. soooo embarrassing. But now, heck no! I pull over and even carry garden gloves in my truck to protect my hands (like when I found a dirty smoker grill curbside a couple weeks ago).

    Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds, love the vanity and the candlesticks from your grandma. Can't wait to see what you do with them. Thanks for sharing at BC Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete